All you need to know about self-employment in the Czech Republic

If you live in the Czech Republic and you have decided to be self-employed, meaning work as a freelancer, you will need to get a trade license. If you are not familiar with all the requirements and documents to be presented, you do not speak Czech and find it difficult to visit the public offices, or you simply want to have everything quickly ready and just start to dedicate your time to your work, we are here to support and assist you throughout the entire self-employment process.

Self-employment is nowadays the most popular form of business in the Czech Republic. There are many reasons why is that so, such as easy administration, no need for bookkeeping, and low initial costs.

As a foreigner, the process of getting self-employed might look difficult to you. Are you as well figuring out where to register, what documents to bring, and how much time it will take?

First of all, you will need an address, which you can use as your business seat. You do not need to rent an office. You can use the address where you currently live. However, you will need to obtain the consent of the owner/landlord. If you own a property, great, no need to ask for any consents. And what if you do not have any address that you could use? We can offer you a solution – a so-called virtual registered address.

If you are an EU citizen, you don´t even need to provide the extract from your criminal record. However, if you are from a non-EU country, you will need to obtain this document.

We will tell you exactly which documents you will need, how and where to get them.

Once you will have the necessary documents ready, we will prepare a power of attorney. This power of attorney will allow us to carry out all the registrations on your behalf. Based on the power of attorney we will take care of all the necessary registrations.

Which offices will be notified about your self-employment and how long does it take?

First of all, the Trade License office which processes all the applications, and issues the Trade License Certificates, is involved. Then the Social Security Office, the Health Insurance Office, and as well the Tax Office.

From the moment you will give us the necessary documents, we will need around 1 week to make sure your trade license is active. It depends as well whether you are from an EU country, and what activity you want to perform.

The Trade Licenses office will assign you a unique identification number, IČO, which you will then indicate on your outcoming invoices. As a self-employed freelancer working based on a trade license you will be registered in the Trade Licenses Register.

Check out our blog!

If you would like to read more into details about self-employment in the Czech Republic and how it is different from a Czech limited liability company, s.r.o., you may find useful our blog article which we dedicated specifically to this topic.

Contact us now!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *